The Joy of Standing Firm
Book of Philippians - Part 14
The Joy of Standing Firm (Philippians 4:1-9)
The Big Idea – Stand Firm in the Lord! (v. 1)
Text begins with “Therefore…” – conjunction joining Paul’s thoughts to what he has already said…
- Phil 1:6 – What God starts He finishes!
- Phil 3:20 – We are citizens of heaven!
“…In the Lord” – That’s where our strength comes from
No middle ground! – you are either in the Lord or in the World
Stand Firm – to persevere, persist, to remain steadfast; to hold onto, to be immovable, to not lose ground, to not give up
- Philippians 1:27 (Unity)
- Galatians 5:1 (Freedom)
- 1 Corinthians 16:13 (As a Soldier)
- 2 Thessalonians 2:15 (Strong Grip)
HOW TO STAND FIRM:
1. SETTLE DISAGREEMENTS (v. 2-3)
- Must have Unity in the Body of Christ!
- You can disagree with someone and still love them!
2. REJOICE IN THE LORD (v. 4)
- Not based on feelings or circumstances; based on Jesus Christ and what He has done for you
- The Romans Road – 3:23, 6:23 (NEED); 5:8 (PROVISION); 10:9 (RECEIVE); 5:1, 8:1 (RESULT); 8:38-39 (PROMISE)
3. BE GENTLE (v. 5)
- Gentle = kind, considerate, tender-hearted, compassionate, reasonable, even tempered
- Why be gentle? Because the Lord is at hand [near]
4. PRAY ABOUT EVERYTHING (v. 6-7)
- Worry = poison, Prayer = antidote
- Nothing too big or too small (1 Pet 5:7)
- Ephesians 3:20
- Memorize Matthew 6:33!
- Giving thanks (v. 6) melts away fear, worry, doubt & disarms the enemy
5. FIX YOUR THOUGHTS (v. 8)
- Battlefield of the mind - Focus on Jesus!
6. PUT IT INTO PRACTICE (v. 9)
- Call to action; James 1:22